M 10-3: PERFORMING RHETORICAL ANALYSIS
- Required reading: Envision chapter 1, p. 27-39 and the remainder of Envision, chapter 2
- My blogpost (from a different quarter) on “Thinking about texts for rhetorical analysis.”
- Watch the “Rhetorical Analysis Step 1” screencast in the Screencasts folder of our Stanford Box
- Sign up for an optional conference for early this week if you want to talk about your text selection for your Rhetorical Analysis. Use the sign up link on the right sidebar on this page.
- Complete STEP 1 of the Rhetorical Analysis assignment. You can find this on page 2 of the Rhetorical Analysis assignment sheet. It involves text selection, an email over the weekend, and pre-writing.
- Read and leave a 3-4 sentence comment on the game review blogpost that’s posted directly ABOVE your own.
Optional: Browse through your classmates’ Alter Ego profiles (see the link also on the right sidebar)
- Metroid Cover (Cabrinety)
- Metroid the Other M cover
- 1980s Metroid commercial
- 2010 Metroid Other M Trailer
- Metroid the Other M G4tv Review
- Dead Space 2 trailer
- Army of Two: 40th Day – World Tour trailer
- There’s a Soldier in All of Us (COD: Black Ops trailer)
- Stand Off commercial (XBox 360)
W 10-5: QUALITIES OF A STRONG RHETORICAL ANALYSIS ESSAY; WORKSHOPPING YOUR DRAFT
- Anne Lamott, “Shitty First Drafts“
- (Recommended) Envision chapter 3: p. 118-126; also jump ahead to Chapter 8, p. 299-305.
- Go to the Rhetorical Analysis assignment page. Make sure that you are making full use of all the resources and links available there.
- Sample Rhetorical Analysis Essay #1: Rhetorical Analysis of Video game box art
- Sample rhetorical analysis essay #2: Bioshock Infinite Trailer
- Sample Rhetorical Analysis Essay #3: Wii Sports Resort
Writing Due: Draft of Rhetorical Analysis essay. Upload your draft to your Stanford Box “Rhetorical Analysis” folder and also bring TWO hard copies to class with you. See Rhetorical Analysis assignment sheet for details about the draft. Please be sure that you do not use less than 1.5 spacing or 11 point font for your draft: review submission guidelines in the syllabus and assignment sheet for more details.
Miscellaneous Due: Sign up for your required conference on the rhetorical analysis draft, which will happen during Week 3. Sign up through the top right of this webpage and navigate between weeks using the tabs at the bottom left of the google sheet.
Fr 10-7: No Class – work due
Rhetorical Analysis Draft #2 Due. Upload to your Stanford Box ” by 5pm. No printout needed. Include 3 questions for your reader (things you would like particular feedback on) either as Microsoft word comments in the document or listed at the very beginning or very end of your essay. Also upload your self-assessment sheet.
COMING UP NEXT WEEK: Conferences next week; Rhetorical Analysis revision due on Sunday the 16th